Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Letter writing

Most people that I talk to are very busy. These people think emails are better that letters because of many good reasons that you all know already since you apparently have internet. I can tell you have internet because you are reading my blog. I am going to shamelessly promote pen-and-paper letter writing. Huge advantages of letter writing:

Letters are something you can pick up and put down and think about what to write for a long time.

Letters can be written anywhere, and especially good place is in a car while waiting for somebody, or outside in the sun.

Letters help you think in the same way a diary does, it is a diary that a specific person is allowed to read.

Letters take so long to write (sometimes days) and a long time to get to its destination that even if you tell the recipient something you have already mentioned by phone they have probably forgotten it by now.

Letters are really nice to receive and curl up and read. My mother writes hilarious letters and I sit there in the lounge room cackling and giggling to myself while nobody else has a clue what is going on.

Letters are not information tools like emails are. Heather, my sister, wrote 6 A4 pages to me one time and the information I got was "I like my job, I moved into a house, I have a friend at work I really like and I am going to a good church and on the music team there." The rest was her hilarious waffling.

I wrote letters to people and the result was that some of these people rediscovered letter writing (and a friend made me a beanie).

I like emails too but letters are special.

No comments:

Post a Comment