Sunday, August 21, 2011

Irritating day

It is 830 am and already the day promises to be one of those irritating ones where movement happens and nothing is achieved.

I went out to do the horses and first had to move Arakei into his paddock. Unfortunately, half through this exercise I realized the gate at the other end of his paddock was open to the big cow paddock (no cows happily).
Instead of going and getting a halter, or taking him back and going to shut the gate I stupidly went with him to shut it. Unsurprisingly he bolted. I went out to catch him but if he does not want to be caught this is impossible, more so in 100 acres of grass.
Two guys in a digger arrived while I was doing this, and edged their way noisily into his paddock. I thought "there is not point putting him in that place with a terrifying instrument of death" so I collected the various buckets lying around and went up to the yard he was in originally.
For some reason, either curiosity, he thought he would get fed (buckets usually indicate this eventuality), or he did not want to be left alone on the big paddock when scary things were going on, He cantered all the way up the hill and back into the gate I had open for him.
After 20 minutes I had put a lot of effort into achieving absolutely nothing beyond giving a small horse and exciting adventure. I can tell this will be an irritating day.

No comments:

Post a Comment