Monday, May 21, 2012

More church music

After reading a comment on my last music post, I thought of all this as well.

 I have also noticed, being on the music team in my old church, that musicians get tired of a new song three times quicker then the congregation. This is obviously because first we need to learn it, then we practice it during the week leading up to the service, then we run through it once or twice before church begins, then the congregation joins in. For each time the congregation sings a sing, the musicians play and sing it at least 3 times. This means that as the congregation begins to like the new song, the band is bored and begins to change things round, or drops it altogether in favour of another new song.

I have been to churches almost every Sunday since I was born, thanks to mum and dad. When I go to a new church, a lot of how welcome I will feel is based on whether I recognize the songs. Not like, or know by heart, but recognize. If I can draw the tune up from the depths of memories from my early church years, I sing along and am happy. Standing in a congregation knowing none of the song that are sung is very alienating. It is nice to know at least one.

This means that continually introducing new songs and never playing older, more widely spread songs is a bit harsh on visitors and the congregation alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment