Thursday, May 31, 2012

Accidental Learning

Children accidentally learn all the time. By reading them stories, they are learning why and how to read. By letting them cook with you, they are learning to cook. By letting them draw, they are learning to write. By writing letters to friends while they watch they learn why to write. By reacting badly to stress, they learn to yell and get angry. By swearing and name calling, they learn the same. By saying I love you, they learn to say I love you. By smiling they learn to smile. By hearing music, they learn to make music.

Adults are less prone to accidental learning, we need more instruction and guidance as we are more afraid to get things wrong. To be sure children need instruction and guidance for many of these as well, but less so then adults.

Every week I take the boys to their violin lesson. I learn the techniques as they do so I can better help them practice. I have played their violins, teaching myself songs and practicing the fingering and bowing. Yesterday I downloaded song sheet music of songs that I like and began to learn to play them on the violin. It is lots of fun though harder then it looks to even get a smooth sound from the bow.

I already knew a bit about how to read music but I am learning how to play the violin by accident. I am by no means very good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment