Saturday, March 31, 2012

Tiredness

Some of the funniest conversations I have had with children have been about tiredness. These tend to be appreciated more when I am not tired myself. The conversation runs like this, Me: "We have had a big morning, when we get home you are going to need to lie down because you are tired." Child: (jumping, stomping and screaming) "I AM NOT TIRED!!!!!!"
Today we went out all morning, to dancing then for a play in the pool, and came home to watch a movie and have lunch. It was quite the pleasant day, slightly fractious because we were all tired, until the movie ended. The the inter-child squawking began, the flopping on the floor began, the inability to do ANYTHING they were asked began and the tears about nothing began. Because they were going out tonight, I made them all have a lie down. One fell asleep and the other two read or played quietly in bed and I read my book.
Resting was for everyone's benefit, had they remained out of bed, I would have lost it by dinner time. Had they remained out of bed, much crying would have happened. Had they remained out of bed they would have been too tired to be any use tonight. In the words of Mark Driscol, "Sometimes they just need a nap" (this applies to grown ups too)
I also have no problem, if I am tired and they are not, putting effort into making them tired so they do rest. Or making them have a lie down regardless because otherwise I will regret something I will say or do.
Barocca does wonders in dire circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment