Sunday, February 19, 2012

Raising Kids

I don't have children, I do look after other peoples children in a very personal way and one thing I love doing is watching other people parent. It is especially good when they pretend to not mind that you are watching, it is especially good when they realize they are teaching by demonstration and also that there is no call for them to be perfect.
I have watched excellent parents deal with and relate to their children for years and I also remember a lot of horrible things mum made us do like house work that I now think is genius. Here are some things that I like and use that I experienced or have seen.

1) Child: "Mum I'm BORED" Mum: "OK then, go and clean the bathroom and if you are still bored after that I will find you another job" (My Mother)
2) Child does a long complaining whinge about the woes of life and their parents decision and the mum says "And did that get you anywhere?" (unknown)
3) Child "But mummy I don't like it" Mum "You need to be grateful for your food and say thank you whether you like it or not." (a Mother who was tired of complaints at every meal)
4) Child "But Juya I don't want to go to bed" Me "You don't need to want to but you still have to go to bed."
5) and the all time favourite- Child "Mum can I please...?" Mum "I'll think about it" (everyone)

I use or plan to use most of these strategies and heaps more including holding toys hostage and time out in bedrooms. The main thing we are struggling with is whining. At the moment repeating the "NO" and sending them away is my strategy. I rarely change my mind for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment