Monday, February 20, 2012

Embarrassing Conversations

I can deal pretty well with embarrassing conversations with kids, as long as grown ups are not listening. Sometimes grown ups have embarrassing conversations but they are different and more 2 sided. With children it stems from confusion or curiosity.
After I had shaved for a cure, there was much discussion among the preschoolers in day care centers I worked at about whether I was a boy or a girl. I had a girl voice and boy hair. Some children just came out and asked and usually about 6 more joined in the conversation, really wanting to know. I would ask a little girl if her hair was all chopped off would she become a boy? She would say no in a "don't be so foolish" kind of voice. I would ask if this boy here grew his hair long would he be a girl? No. So do you think I am a girl or a boy? a little pause and then 9 times out of 10 the would agree that I was a boy.
I recently had one of these awkward situations with a 3 yr old girl at bed time. I was giving her a cuddle as we walked around looking for her babies to sleep with and she patted my chest and said "You have big boobies" I said that I needed them so that if I have a baby I can feed them milk. She asked me if I was pregnant and I said "No I need to get married first" She thought for a bit and said "Well... when you don't have a baby you can stay here"

The only thing to remember about awkward or embarrassing conversations with small children is to pretend like it is normal and answer their questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment