Thursday, February 23, 2012

Choices

When working with little kids, we give them choices. This is partly to empower them and help them to feel autonomous while still getting them to do what we want, for example when walking across a road they might get the choice of holding you hand or the pram. This is early decision making training as well and we all know what it is like to make decisions. If we learn early on that decisions mean consequences, either good or bad, that will help later when making bigger decisions.

We give the 3 yr old choices and the conversation goes "You need to have a rest, you can either rest while watching a movie, or rest in bed and play with the babies." Child "No I want to play with these" Carer "No, you have to make a choice or I will make one" Child "No I want to play here" Carer "OK I am deciding bed" Child "Scream scream scream"

Yesterday on the way to Ballet I realized I had forgotten my book to read during the class. I mentioned this and the 3 yr old said "You have a choice, you can read your book at home, or at school, or at dancing... that's your choice that you need to make" Since I didn't have the book with me I chose home. Children use strategies that they see parents using and sometimes it is eye opening for the parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment