Friday, November 30, 2012

The merits of different dog balls

We have two different kinds of balls for Millie to fetch. The yellow, heavy indestructible ball for the park and the common tennis ball for the beach. Now the reason for the Yellow Ball (capitals are deserved here) is obviously to prevent her from going through multiple tennis balls a week. The reason for the tennis balls on top of this I found out the hard way.

When one goes to the beach, the ball often ends up in the water, tennis balls float, hockey balls float, golf balls float, ping pong balls float (obviously) so I was wondering if this one did. I figured it possibly didn't because otherwise there would be no need for tennis balls unless there was a different, less obvious reason like we don't want to lose an expensive ball.

I did not and still have not taken the ball to the beach, it turns out I didn't need to. I was at the park chucking the ball for the dog when she suddenly took the ball for a walk into the ditch. Due to the recent rain we had there was a deep and above all stinky puddle in there. Instead of keeping hold of the ball, the idiot dog dropped the ball into the big, stinky puddle then stirred up the silt around it. I tried to get her to get it but she couldn't see it and so didn't get it. I poked around with my ball throwing stick in the hope that I might magically catch it and bring it up. In the process of the dog and I searching for the ball more silt was stink was stirred up. In the end I rolled up my pants and had to paddle around in the deep, extremely stinky puddle to find it. It was revolting.

Now we know the reason why the yellow ball does not go to the beach or in fact near a body of water deeper the an inch.

No comments:

Post a Comment