Thursday, December 13, 2012

Puppies... again

It seems my lot in life to end up with families who think it is a fantastic idea to get a puppy. Interestingly the reasons they are employing me is because they are busy... Anyway the last 2 years both families have acquired a puppy. Last year I was excited and looking forward to a puppy, being inexperienced in the area of raising a puppy. She was hilarious and I got to train her because I was home alone most. I taught her to my commands and she would do things for me and the kids if I told them what to say. She was a chocolate labrador and there are plenty of posts about her during 2011.

This year, the prospect of getting a puppy was far less attractive to me. I can't say no though because it is not my dog, my house or my family. Also I don't mind having a dog it is just that I could clearly remember the whining, weeing, chewing stealing speedy creative and naughty beast we had last year. Also puppies are interesting for the first week or two and then there is 2 or more years of annoying, energetic dog that the novelty has worn off. Already the puppy is being ignored and finding creative things to do to entertain herself, digging, chewing, all the other stuff that they do.
Today we took her to the BMX track with the kids and bikes. She learnt things like Puddles can be Deep, and Running Into Bikes is Not a Good Idea. She slipped off a rock and landed head first in a puddle, she ran about like a lunatic (not chasing, just running), and she practiced coming when called.

I have now moved out to another place so I am not a live in nanny any more. I now get to go to work and come home. My lovely flatmate has also apparently been thinking of getting not one but TWO puppies next year. I am coming back here next year so here it is, my lot in life to live with people who acquire puppies. I am going home for the summer so I say to my flatmate "the 20th of December would be the ideal time to get puppies, that way they can be toilet trained before I get back." She reckons the end of January, just before I get back would be better so I can help train them.

So stay tuned for more puppy related posts :)

No comments:

Post a Comment