Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Swimming

As you may have noticed, the weather is getting warmer (finally in my case, it has been cold enough for a jumper till last week). This, in turn, brings on a desire among the children to go to the pool. I also enjoy the pool and will hopefully use it a lot in the coming weeks.

The children have assured me all year that they are not good at swimming, my theory then, is that they practice. When we were little, we lived within 5 minutes walk from a pool and we would go there every day to swim. Mum set up a lap/lollies system so that every lap of free style earned 5c and every lap of form stroke earned 10c. I decided to steal this genius idea and use it for these kids. Unfortunately the pool is only 25m long not 50, so I changed it to 5c per lap.

We went to the indoor heated pool one day when I had the kids and they earned 40c 35c 80c and 30c. I was really proud of the 10 year old who swam 400 meters to earn 80c. We spent it at the corner shop on the way home and they are keen to go again. I capped it at $1 for the moment, which is 500 meters.

No comments:

Post a Comment