Monday, October 24, 2011

Pointing out the obvious to people

Today I went swimming, then I had to go grocery shopping. You can't do this the other way round because of the dairy products, and melting-ice-cream-in-car, and similar difficulties. The difficulty with swimming is that you can never manage to get completely dry if you wear your swimmers under clothes. This drew the comment of "your butt is really wet" from onlookers. I didn't really mind but it got me thinking of replies when people point out things you clearly already know.
1) "yep, it is raining a lot where I come from."
2) "what gave it away?"
3) "I accidentally sat in a puddle on the driveway" (this would only work if it has NOT rained in days.
4) "oh THATS why it feels so cold. Thanks"
Another obvious point people mention is red faces. I am NEVER pale so when I went to karate my teacher would often greet me with "Hi Julia, your face is red today" This was said in the same voice dad uses when he says "your acne is looking better, except for that bit". Heather and I discussed responses to the red face thing and here is what we came up with
1) I am terribly embarrassed to be here
2) I got sun burnt while I was out last night
and my favourite
3) I am slowly turning into a lobster.

No comments:

Post a Comment