Friday, September 30, 2011

Cars

I have driven a few interesting cars in my fairly short driving life. One was the camry, this was fairly straight forward except that the speedo needle stopped telling us how fast we were going after we hit 60 km an hour. I fixed that with a pocket knife.

I also drove the verada. This was called The Music Bus because when MEC first started it shuttled most of the music team and their instruments to and from church. This one developed a few interesting quirks; firstly the doors handles disintegrated so that you needed special training before being able to exit the car. Next the the right hand windows, while going down with amazing ease, had difficulty going back up. Then, at intersections, we discovered we had an automatic that stalled to the point where it did it four times in a 5 minute drive one day. Then the speakers merely produced a grinding noise when the radio was on.

Whenever another person drove the car, I would diligently explain all these facts and what to do about them. This does not stop every single mechanic from winding down the driver window (a real problem since it rain here a lot). The funniest one though was when my aunt had to drive it and forgot about the window till she tried to wind it up, then couldn't open the door from the inside and had to get help. She decided I needed a new car.

The last car that I will tell you about is the Nanny car I use while I am here. I named it very early on in the piece, it is called the Seacow because she is ugly, grey, slow, smells funny and really irritating to handle. A Seacow is a Dugong or Manatee and my boss reckons calling the car Seacow is an insult to Dugongs but I reckon it fits nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment