Sunday, September 25, 2011

Walking

Today I got some big news so I went for a looong walk to process it. I went to the bottom of the driveway (1.5 km) and turned right and went past the next door neighbours house and wandered along thinking about stuff.

After a considerable distance I was thirsty so I turned back, as I walked along I noticed a calf in the paddock. In springtime in beef cattle country this is not unusual, however this calf was really small and wet and the cow standing nearby had afterbirth (sorry for grossness, maybe it is good I did not have my camera) hanging down between her legs. It appears that I had wandered past a cow in labour and not noticed and missed watching a calf be born by about 10 minutes.

This was one of my more pleasant experiences with cows, partly because of the calf but mainly because apparently it is only dumb steers that feel the need to rush up to you and stare at you like you have an extra head. Cows seem not to have this need.

No comments:

Post a Comment