Wednesday, September 14, 2011

More Traps

Because I was home educated, I was pretty cluey about some things but naive about other things. One of the things I was a bit innocent about was that people would try to catch you doing the wrong thing.

When I was working in a fast food place, I was usually on dining room clean up because I complained the least about it. I discovered an honest way to have a sit down and rest and that was to clean seats. Because they were mainly bench seats, the best way to clean then was to slide along, cleaning as you go. I was doing this one day, out of sight from where everyone else was, and chatting to myself (it is not weird if it is intelligent), totally absorbed in what I was doing (not a busy day obviously) when I looked up and saw a scary manager standing over me. I explained cheerfully what I was doing and that I thought somebody had lacquered over a child's foot print because it wouldn't come off. She laughed at me and went away. It only occurred to me years later that she had probably wanted to catch me bludging and doing nothing.

Happily, I have been taught by my parents and the bible to work diligently all the time not just when somebody is watching. Also there is a certain protection in that sort of cluelessness, it protects you from assuming the worst in people every time they say or do something that could go either way.

3 comments:

  1. People who assume ulterior motives or read negativity into things must be miserable. It's so much easier to assume nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess its her job to manage :)So she does have to oversee what you're doing and possibly also to see if your'e okay! :) and need help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah but she was also the one who yelled at me for not taking initiative the, a few days later having learned from my mistake, she yelled at me for taking initiative. Weird huh? I may have done it wrong but I was 14.

    ReplyDelete