Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas

Buying or making Christmas presents. Making them, especially children making them for parents, has a certain charm and specialness so that even if it is not spectacularly pretty or useful or artistic, it is still incredibly special to the receiver because the special child made it for them.

When we were little, Heather was always thinking of clever, sweet things to make for mum. One of these was a pincushion that she made out of material, paddle pop sticks (for legs) and stuffing. Mum still uses this now as her only pin cushion and Heather still notices it is in use.

Buying presents is harder to do in a way because more thought is needed to make it special and not just 'because I need to'. This means that presents given for no reason and only because I felt like it and because I knew you would like it hold more value then ones for birthday and Christmas. I enjoyed getting presents for the family members that I live with, I got to know each person and got them a gift that I thought suited them. Christmas however was much harder and I really struggled to think of good ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment