Monday, November 21, 2011

State Pride

I am a New South Welshman, technically I even still live in NSW though only by about 2km. I never cared much about this, and mostly I still don't, although this year was the first year I cared enough about the State of Origin to ask how the games went. I still didn't watch them since I had nobody to explain them to me.

Recently though, state pride has welled up with the onset of daylight saving for NSW. Though I still live there, everywhere nearby is QLD so our clocks run to QLD time. I miss daylight saving terribly, I wake up at 5 in the morning and in a civilized state that would be 6 and nearly time to get up. once I woke up at 430 and the sun was about to come up, that is too early. Plus we miss out on the extended evening, at home the sun sets around 8pm and we have time to go for a walk, or play cricket, or whatever. Here it is down at 7 so walks after dinner (due to a lack of street lights) is out.

Then there is the CONSTANT complaining from the Queenslanders who have never had the benefit of daylight saving and think we are idiots for wanting it. That is like somebody who has never eaten a mango telling people who have that they are silly to enjoy them.

I miss daylight saving and I usually defend NSW when people are out to attack it.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent defense. And you will have the same problem in Left Autralia. Heather says they trialed it over there, and nobody liked it. People LIKE waking up at 4.30 and getting home in the dark? Crazy daylight wasters. Rock on daylight savers!

    ReplyDelete