Sunday, May 12, 2013

New tricks.

I had run out of interesting things to do with Xena, to teach her and to keep us both interested and thinking. Also she was getting energetic and silly and flighty and generally scary to ride. I realized that while her ground manners are now really good (she even comes when she is called) When I am riding her she is confused about who is in charge. She thinks she can make decisions not me. I decided to go back to the cattle yards and try to teach her to obey me without needing reins. I put on her saddle and then just used the halter and lead rope as reins and bridle and rode her at a walk in the cattle yard.

This is teaching her something altogether new and on horseback which I am unfamiliar with. Luckily a lady who has taught people to ride naturally was visiting and decided to help me and gave me a lesson. She encouraged me and told me what to do and we began to teach her to turn left and right and stop and go all from my legs and feet instruction. The lead rope was just to give her a hint and as back up if I needed it.

We also taught her to rein back (walk backwards)  and worked on going sideways. The lady was very encouraging and said I was doing the right things to teach her and that she is obviously relaxed and comfortable with me. It is funny that though she comes when I call, apparently she won't come for anyone else. I can't help but feel a little smug about that.

Today I am going to ride her in the cattle yard again, probably bare backed, and we will remember what we learned yesterday and consolidate.

No comments:

Post a Comment