Sunday, May 12, 2013

Riding

Shortly after the beach trip, I put on her saddle and paraphernalia in the cattle yard, this was still part of teaching her to keep still while I do things, and follow me when I walk away, therefore she did not have a halter on. I made her follow me around while she was dressed up, then I left her to get used to it all while I began teaching Fairy to follow me (she was much more stubborn then Xena and took longer) My boss asked if she could ride Xena, I said yes and she hopped on and walked her around in the cattle yard for a bit. Then I got on and she told me how to manage the reins so that the instructions were clear, until Xena got used to the bit and everything. I rode her at a walk all around the cattle yards and she was brilliant.

Over the next few days I walked her out to all the different places, the  jump area, the flat area, the stables, but we always started and finished in the cattle yards. Interestingly the place I had most difficulty with was the grassy jumping area, she was disobedient and opinionated every time we were on the grass. The best place for her was the bush so I did my trotting and finally cantering in the bush before trying it on the grass.

An example of a massive battle we had on the grass was when we were coming back from the bush and she was sure it was the end of the ride and had a little hissy fit when I turned her away from the stables we did about 10 laps of 20m before she wasn't naughty and we could finish. Now her strategy is to just not walk when I ask her to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment