Monday, June 18, 2012

Finishing Properly

With projects, common practice for most people is to start them and be very keen until about 2/3 of the way through, then it is passed over in favour of the next project.

This also happens with children. I have often vented about people beginning the discipline tantrum cycle and not seeing it through (giving in) but I have never realized the reverse is as important. What I mean is, finishing pleasant things or every day routines properly. For example if you say to a child "You can read till whatever o clock and then I will come and give you a kiss and turn off your light" You need to remember at the specified time to go and tuck in your child and let them know it is time to sleep.
This is not just about timetables, it is about keeping promises. If you say "Go jump into bed and I will tuck you in soon" and then forget and your child falls asleep waiting, what does that say to your child.
This can also be, we can't read a story now but we will this afternoon, or we are too busy to do that today, maybe we can do it tomorrow. It is easy to forget these, I have forgotten many, however it is important to fulfill even longer term promises.
However I can't understand (because I am a child oriented person) how people can forget that they haven't finished their immediate interaction with their child. I understand they get busy doing other things, but I can't settle down until I know I have finished what I started, both pleasant and unpleasant.

1000 unfinished craft projects are not important. Try the same with children and they will learn what level priority they are in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment