Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Godliness

Last week I was on a church mission in Singleton, based in a bible teaching church we sought to introduce kids to Jesus and their families to the church atmosphere and people.

During the week, I had a long talk with one of the other leaders about Godliness and things. We were talking about the changes we have seen in our own lives as God works it out, also the things that we know needs prayer and work. It was observed that attitude to God, each other, and life is the key thing to work on. She said that this usually means actions need to change and we don't like that. This is right except that if our attitude is changed, we will be happier to change our unhelpful actions. Also some have, regarding their actions (not very often tongues) the outward appearance of Godliness. They serve, they pack away, they help carry things and, when I am doing these things I think "How humble am I... look at me, I am SERVING!!!" and I hope somebody will notice. Or I will get annoyed when others are standing by NOT helping. Or frustrated that people can't even offer a thank you.

In these ways I can change my actions to appear Godly in Christian, and even non Christian, circles. However until God changes my attitude to serving to glorify God and not myself, it will all be an act. Also, as God changes my attitude to serving and living, my actions and words will be more loving to others and less about self.

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus, who being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself NOTHING, taking the very nature of a servant. And being found in appearance as a man he humbled himself and became obedient to death, even death on a cross.

If our attitudes are like Christ, we will seek to serve like Christ, in humility and grace rather then to impress our fellow Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment