Wednesday, August 22, 2012

It was my fault

Have you ever heard anyone say that? I may have but not often enough to figure in my memory. "I am sorry, I made a mistake and this has been my fault, can we work together to fix this?"
This statement takes a HUGE amount of courage and humility to say to another person, or even to admit to yourself. Since we don't want to be humiliated and potentially lose regard or even employment, we excuse ourselves and shift the spotlight onto others.
"I did everything I could but SHE didn't do her part" is heard far more often.
Sadly when said by a professional, highly educated person about a "lesser" (couldn't think of another word) there is not much the other person can do to convince people that this is not true.
Families can be ruined, lives can be destroyed by people who win the blame game and successfully pass the buck to another person.
Owning up to my part in a difficulty is hard, shameful, and scary, however it is also the Godly, courageous and loving thing to do. To risk your job, friendship, whatever by owning up and taking responsibility is a form of sacrificial love. Not like Jesus, he took responsibility for our disobedience, but in not passing it onto another, weaker party, still has an element of self sacrifice.

Not sure if that made sense :)

No comments:

Post a Comment